Organist/Choir Director Position Re-opened
Christ Church (Episcopal) in Woodbury, NJ, seeks an organist and choir director to oversee the parish music ministry. Founded in 1856, Christ Church is firmly grounded in Book of Common Prayer (1979) Rite I liturgy, primarily using the Hymnal 1982. Traditional liturgical music is central to the main choral Eucharist at 10:00 on Sunday morning.
Christ Church is blessed with a rich history and a warm and caring congregation. We look forward to welcoming a gifted, collegial church musician to collaborate with the rector and parishioners, lead a choir comprising a quartet of paid choral scholars (underwritten) and 16 committed volunteers, and inspire dedication in all who participate. The adult choir currently rehearses only on Sundays, with extra rehearsals in Advent and before Holy Week. A chorister program affiliated with the RSCM America currently serves six children and is ripe for further development, including a summer chorister camp promoted and led by the organist and choir director. The choirs rehearse in a brand-new, custom-tailored choir room, the result of a recent parish hall renovation. More information about the music program is at http://christchurch.woodburynj.org/music-program/.
The organist and choir director is responsible for the overall music ministry of Christ Church, providing leadership, direction, education, and budget oversight. The successful candidate will have solid conducting and service-playing skills. This position requires an average of 18-19 hours per week; salary range is $24,000 to $34,000. (Church housing may be available.) The organ is a two-manual M.P. Möller Double Artiste with tonal additions; 13 ranks with Deagan chimes; chambers in the chancel ceiling.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Developing a long-term vision for the music ministry of the church, in collaboration with the Rector.
- Planning all service music in consultation with the Rector and supplying repertoire and rehearsal schedule to the Rector and parish musicians in advance of each church season.
- Rehearsing, playing, and leading music for the 10 a.m. Choral Eucharist and primary midweek liturgical observations of the Church year (Epiphany, Ash Wednesday, the Triduum in Holy Week, Ascension, All Soul’s, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day); plus occasional additional services for the Woodbury community.
- Leading the choristers in weekly rehearsals and preparing them to make a contribution to multiple services each year.
- Active recruitment and retention of choir members and choristers from the parish and community.
- Supervision and scheduling of assistant and substitute organists, as well as additional invited instrumentalists as needed.
- Providing music for all weddings and funerals, in consultation with appropriate parties; or if s/he cannot be present, making arrangements with volunteer assistant organists or retaining substitute organists (additional compensation applies).
- Submitting and maintaining the annual music budget.
- Overseeing the maintenance of the church’s organ and piano, and maintaining the music library in good order.
Interested candidates should forward a resumé, two or three audio/video samples of playing and conducting totaling no more than ten minutes (via Soundcloud, Dropbox, or other cloud service), and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Organist/Choir Director Search” in the subject line.
Applications may be mailed to Christ Church, Woodbury, ATTN: Organist/Choir Director Search, 62 Delaware Street, Woodbury, NJ 08096.